‘No Cabinet revamp, only minor changes’
Delon Porcalla (The Philippine Star) - August 24, 2015 - 10:00am

CEBU CITY, Philippines  – Minor changes will be made in the Cabinet probably next month or in October, when several members decide to run for senator next year, President Aquino said yesterday.

“Changes will happen because in October, some of our colleagues will run,” he said in Filipino, referring to the mid-October deadline for the filing of certificates of candidacy for national and local posts.

“So the term revamp is wrong. But we have to assign people with no intention to run to head the different agencies.”

Among the Cabinet members expected to relinquish their posts are director-general Joel Villanueva of the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority, Metro Manila Development Authority Chairman Francis Tolentino and Interior Secretary Manuel Roxas II, Aquino said.

He failed to mention Justice Secretary Leila de Lima, who is also eyeing a Senate seat.

When asked if the entire Cabinet is behind the presidential candidacy of Roxas, Aquino reiterated that they are solidly behind him as far as he knows.  

Last March, Aquino said the Liberal Party has already been swamped with applicants wishing to be included in its 12-man senatorial slate next year.

He disclosed that a recent meeting with a partymate indicated that only two slots are left.

But as far as he was concerned, his last count of officials wishing to join the party has reached about 60.

“In my list, the opening seems to be long, but perhaps times five is the number of applicants,”   Aquino told Bombo Radyo Philippines in an exclusive interview in Filipino.

“The problem is if I mention names, those that I didn’t mention would be calling me up to election day.”

Earlier, it had been reported that among the LP’s senatorial candidates are De Lima, Tolentino, and Camarines Sur Rep. Leni Robredo, Quezon City Mayor Herbert Bautista, Manila Vice Mayor Isko Moreno and actor Dingdong Dantes, among others.

In September 2014, Aquino named Dantes – Jose Sixto Dantes III in real life – commissioner-at-large of the National Youth Commission.

Dantes has reportedly declined the offer to run for the Senate.

Reliable sources said Energy Secretary Jericho Petilla, whose resignation remains hanging until a replacement is appointed, reportedly lamented that he was not included in the lineup of the administration party.                                                 

 

ACIRC AMONG THE CABINET AQUINO BOMBO RADYO PHILIPPINES CAMARINES SUR REP DANTES DE LIMA DINGDONG DANTES ENERGY SECRETARY JERICHO PETILLA IN SEPTEMBER NBSP
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with