China snubs court deadline in West Philippine Sea case
Louis Bacani (The Philippine Star) - December 16, 2014 - 11:33am

MANILA, Philippines - China has officially ignored an international court deadline to defend its expansive territorial claims in the disputed South China Sea.

China Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Qin Gang reiterated on Monday that his country will neither accept nor participate in the South China Sea arbitration initiated by the Philippines.

China was given until December 15 to submit its counter-memorial to the United Nations arbitral tribunal in The Hague, Netherlands.

Qin maintained that the tribunal has no jurisdiction over the case.

"China's position on the issue of the South China Sea is consistent and clear. We maintain that parties concerned should resolve relevant disputes through consultation and negotiation on the basis of respecting historical facts and international law," Qin said.

"We also hope that all parties concerned will work with China in this spirit and the principle established in the Declaration on the Conduct of Parties in the South China Sea, so as to jointly safeguard peace and stability there," he added.

Qin further warned that China remains determined in defending its territory and maritime rights and interests.

"The Chinese side will have to make necessary response to any intentional and provocative action unilaterally initiated by relevant party," he said.

The Philippines submitted last March a 4,000-page memorial or written argument to the arbitral tribunal hearing its case against China for the latter's excessive territorial claims.

Volume I of the memorial contains Manila's analysis of the applicable law and relevant evidence, and demonstrates that the arbitral tribunal has jurisdiction over all of the claims made by the Philippines in its Statement of Claim.

Volumes 2 through 10, which consist of more than 3,700 pages, contain the documentary evidence and maps that support the Philippines’ claims, including over 40 maps.

The documents were submitted following the harassment of Philippine fishing vessels by the Chinese coast guard on two contested shoals earlier this year.

On March 9, Chinese coast guard vessels drove away two Philippine ships from Ayungin Shoal, preventing them to re-supply a small group of Filipino soldiers guarding the maritime feature.

In January, the Chinese coast guard also fired water cannons at Filipino fishermen on Panatag (Scarborough) Shoal, also called Bajo de Masinloc.

AYUNGIN SHOAL CHINA CHINA FOREIGN MINISTRY SPOKESPERSON QIN GANG CONDUCT OF PARTIES IN JANUARY ON MARCH QIN SOUTH CHINA SEA STATEMENT OF CLAIM UNITED NATIONS VOLUME I
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with