Zamboanga siege victims to get permanent houses in December
Rosalinda L. Orosa (The Philippine Star) - September 9, 2014 - 8:00pm

MANILA, Philippines (Xinhua) - The government said today that it is fast-tracking the construction of permanent housing facilities for the victims of the Zamboanga siege which erupted in September last year.

Presidential Communications Operations Office Secretary Herminio Coloma, Jr. said some 2,300 families may be moved to safer homes by December 15.

Coloma said the national government is closely coordinating with the Zamboanga City government to fast track the construction of the housing units and ensure that the needs of the survivors are provided.

The Philippine government allocated P3.5 billion ($80.34 million) for the Zamboanga rehabilitation program.

Thousands of residents were displaced when Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) Chairman Nur Misuari tried to take over Zamboanga City in September 2013. Government troops and MNLF members figured in a firefight which lasted for 20 days.

Coloma made an assurance that there will be no let up in the efforts of the Philippine government to hunt down Misuari.  



 

CHAIRMAN NUR MISUARI CITY COLOMA CONSTRUCTION GOVERNMENT MISUARI MORO NATIONAL LIBERATION FRONT PRESIDENTIAL COMMUNICATIONS OPERATIONS OFFICE SECRETARY HERMINIO COLOMA XINHUA ZAMBOANGA ZAMBOANGA CITY
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with