AFP chief: Deployment of soldiers in Atimonan done in good faith
Jaime Laude (The Philippine Star) - January 27, 2013 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines - The military leadership yesterday said the deployment of soldiers to support the police team in Atimonan, Quezon that resulted in the killing of 13 men earlier this month was done “in good faith.”

“According to them they went there in good faith. And what happened next is now the subject of investigation,” Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) chief Lt. Gen. Emmanuel Bautista said.

Bautista made the statement in reference to the 25 Army Special Forces troops led by Lt. Col. Monico Abang involved in the police operation at a checkpoint in Atimonan last Jan. 6.

Bautista said that based on the statements of the 25 soldiers, they were apparently led to believe that they were supporting a police operation.

Abang himself maintained they were requested to support the policemen led by Superintendent Hansel Marantan to intercept a group of suspected guns-for-hire.

He said he and 24 of his men proceeded to the area in good faith.

The soldiers involved in what the police said was a shootout maintained the first shot came from one of the 13 men in the two-vehicle convoy and they only shot back.– With Sandy Araneta

 

 

 

 

ABANG ARMED FORCES OF THE PHILIPPINES ARMY SPECIAL FORCES ATIMONAN BAUTISTA EMMANUEL BAUTISTA JAN MONICO ABANG QUEZON SUPERINTENDENT HANSEL MARANTAN WITH SANDY ARANETA
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with