Winston to Capitol: Reject P250M purchase deal
Winston to Capitol: Reject P250M purchase deal
Michael Vencynth H. Braga/JMO (The Philippine Star) - January 19, 2016 - 9:00am

CEBU, Philippines - One Cebu gubernatorial aspirant Winston Garcia has challenged the Provincial Board to reject the controversial P250 million heavy equipment purchase deal with the winning bidder.

 Garcia said doing so would help dispel rumors that some Capitol officials and their family members received kickbacks from the “dubious deal.”

 Garcia made the call following reports that the provincial government led by Governor Hilario Davide III, his opponent in the May 9 elections, will pursue the contract with ConEquip Philippines, Inc, amid the controversies.

He also cited the suggestion of Board Member Sun Shimura, his ally in Once Cebu, to re-bid the project.

Davide earlier signed the notice of award to ConEquip as the winning bidder with the Lowest Calculated and Responsive Bids of P250 million.

ConEquip outpaced RDAK Transport Equipment, Inc. which offered P235 million and Civic Merchandising, Inc. with P237 million.

RDAK and Civic, however, were disqualified by the Bids and Awards Committee for failing to meet the specification requirements.

“Evaluation was conducted not just on the amounts of the bid per se, but the amounts vis-à-vis certain specifications.  One can be the lowest bidder but not responsive to all the requirements and conditions specified in the bid documents.  To be awarded the contract, the bidder must be the lowest calculated responsive bid,” reads the BAC statement issued earlier in response to allegations hurled against the bidding process.

Garcia also hit the legislative body for failing to include in its agenda during the regular session last Monday the discussion on the P250-million equipment deal despite the “urgency and gravity of the issue”.

“Rumors continue to circulate that the winning bidder, ConEquip, which was earlier given a notice of award by the governor sans PB approval, now holds the upper hand by allegedly blackmailing the Cebu Provincial Government with disclosure of an alleged pay-off amounting to P10 million deposited into their bank accounts, if the deal were to be cancelled,” Garcia said in a statement.

He suggested further that Capitol use instead the P250 million for other “much needed projects, such as fixing the dire condition of the healthcare services in our district hospitals.”

Capitol explained earlier that it has to invest in the heavy equipment to expedite the road repairs and construction as part of its infrastructure and countryside development projects.  A total of 700 kilometers of roads have already been identified for maintenance.

“With this purchase of heavy equipment, there will be savings generated of at least P100 million annually since work will be done in-house. Time spent on bidding out to contractors will be saved.  The investment will be recovered,” BAC explained. — (FREEMAN)

ACIRC BIDS AND AWARDS COMMITTEE BOARD MEMBER SUN SHIMURA CEBU PROVINCIAL GOVERNMENT CIVIC MERCHANDISING GARCIA GOVERNOR HILARIO DAVIDE LOWEST CALCULATED AND RESPONSIVE BIDS MILLION NBSP ONCE CEBU
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with