Man dies as fire eats up his house

- Ria Mae Y. Booc () - November 13, 2010 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines – A man met his untimely death when his house burned down while he was sleeping inside it yesterday night in Barangay Tominjao, Daanbantayan town.

The victim, Gerrardo Tahanlangit, was reportedly drunk when the fire razed his house.

His wife, Anabelle, and two children left around 8pm that night only to return 5am the next day with both her husband and their home already in ashes.

PO2 Alfredo Mandal of the Daanbantayan police said Tahanlangit was drunk that night and had a quarrel with Anabelle before the latter left the house. The victim reportedly had the tendency to hit his wife each time he was drunk so Anabelle reportedly chose to leave that night and stay with her parents-in-law.

"Hubog ang bana pag-abot nilikay nalang pud ning asawa," Mandal said.

Mandal said it is possible that Tahanlangit might have accidentally kicked the kerosene lamp beside his bed, which caused the fire. The house was made of light materials. The victim reportedly had the habit of placing the kerosene lamp beside the bed every time he sleeps.

"Nasikaran siguro ni or nawarahan sa kamot," Mandal said.

The fire did not affect other houses, as the Tahanlangits lived in an isolated area.   Aside from the two minor children, the couple's three other children are working in Cebu City. Tahanlangit's remains are now at his mother's house in Barangay Malingin. (FREEMAN)

ALFREDO MANDAL OF THE DAANBANTAYAN ANABELLE BARANGAY MALINGIN BARANGAY TOMINJAO CEBU CITY DAANBANTAYAN GERRARDO TAHANLANGIT HUBOG MANDAL NASIKARAN TAHANLANGIT
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with