Lakas bet says he has support of 34 Cebu mayors
() - March 4, 2010 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines - Lakas-Kampi senatorial bet Ramon Guico yesterday announced that 34 of the 44 mayors in Cebu have reportedly expressed “strong support” to his candidacy.

“Ang hiling ko sa mga mayors natin na suportahan nila ako at ikampanya sa grassroots level talaga. Sana ako ay palaring manalo,” Guico said in a press conference following a campaign sortie with fellow Lakas bet and reelectionist Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr.

The two campaigned at the Mandaue City Public Market, Consolacion Public Market and barangay Hipodromo in Cebu City. They will visit some schools in Cebu today and the southern towns today.

“Magkasama talaga kami ni Bong sa pangangampanya para maambunan naman ako sa kasikatan niya,” Guico said in jest.

Guico said it is not impossible to get the support from all 1,500 mayors across the country, considering that he served the Municipal Mayors League of the Philippines as president for three terms or a total of nine years. He still sits as president of the league.

Guico is currently the mayor of Binalonan, Pangasinan and serves as interim national president of the Union of Local Authorities in 2008.

Guico said that if elected as Senator, he will work for equal sharing of Internal Revenue Allotment between the national government and the local government units.

Currently, the national government gets 60 percent of the IRA while LGUs only share the remaining 40 percent. Guico said the ration should be 50:50, considering that many national government employees are devolved to the local governments.

Guico said a 10 percent increase in the IRA for LGUs would surely boost their performance, especially in the delivery of basic services such as health, education, housing and employment.

Revilla, for his part, said he joins Guico during campaigns because he believes in the latter’s capabilities.

“Ako naman naniniwala sa kanyang kakayahan. Magaling si Mayor Guico kaya lagi kaming magkasama,” Revilla said.

Revilla emerged as number one Senator in Cebu in the 2004 elections and ranked number two in the entire country at that time. — Mitchelle L. Palaubsanon/JMO   (FREEMAN NEWS)

 

CEBU CEBU CITY CONSOLACION PUBLIC MARKET GUICO INTERNAL REVENUE ALLOTMENT MANDAUE CITY PUBLIC MARKET MAYOR GUICO MITCHELLE L MUNICIPAL MAYORS LEAGUE OF THE PHILIPPINES RAMON GUICO REVILLA
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with