A year after demolition, new CCMC building still on drawing board
Kristine B. Quintas/FPL (The Freeman) - February 25, 2015 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines - A year has passed since the old Cebu City Medical Center was demolished but the reconstruction of the P1.5-billion hospital has yet to commence because of hitches in the bidding process.

 The construction was supposed to start October last year. Because of the delay, the CCMC, which is currently using the fire department building, is expanding its operation to the adjacent City Traffic Operations Management Office starting next month to accommodate more patients.

 This means that the hospital will increase its capacity to 100 more beds from the current 108 beds at the fire department building.

The first and second floors of the three-storey CITOM office will house the hospital’s nutrition and dietetics, ER Pedia, gynecology ward, obstetrics, pediatrics, and pedia intensive care units, among others. The third floor, on the other hand, will serve as CCMC’s administrative offices, medical record section, and pedia-pulmonary ward.

 Mayor Michael Rama, in an ocular inspection yesterday, said he wants the bed capacity increased to 300, saying “this is possible in a matter of time. This is all about networking, volunteerism and togetherness.”

 Lawyer Rey Cris Panugaling, CCMC Director for Administration, said the expansion would help the hospital recoup its level 2 accreditation status. He said they will apply at the Department of Health national office for a Permit to Construct, a pre-requisite in upgrading to a level 2 facility.

“We believe, we will now qualify for the level 2 accreditation,” he said, adding that they still have to comply with the necessary ramps to transport patients easily.

CCMC Director for Medical Services, Dr. Gloria Duterte agreed, saying “this is advantageous because (we) can accommodate more patients and as well ma-upgrade our services.”

CCMC has been downgraded to Level 1 last year due to the unfavorable conditions at the BFB-7 building where it was transferred after its old building was severely damaged by the magnitude 7.2 earthquake in 2013.

The city hospital’s capacity dropped to 108 beds from 300 since it moved to the BFP compound along N. Bacalso Avenue. The old CCMC building, which was demolished February last year, occupied a 1.2-hectare lot while the BFP compound only covers an area of 7,000 square meters.

Rama clarified that the annex building is only temporary while the construction of the new building is yet to start.

“It doesn’t mean that we will not put in hurry the new building. This would be treated temporary-permanent because if we will not think this as permanent we will not fix approximately that it will address what is tolerable-manageable needs,” he clarified.

The project was stalled after the lowest winning bidder, a joint venture of a Cebu and Manila-based companies, was post-disqualified for allegedly being “non-responsive.”

Members of the Bids and Awards Committee found out that the documents submitted contained “discrepancies and false information.” — (FREEMAN)

BACALSO AVENUE BUILDING CEBU AND MANILA CEBU CITY MEDICAL CENTER CITY TRAFFIC OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT OFFICE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH DR. GLORIA DUTERTE LAWYER REY CRIS PANUGALING MAYOR MICHAEL RAMA MEDICAL SERVICES
  • Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with