Manhunt on for cops in Quezon mayor’s son slay
Ed Amoroso (The Philippine Star) - March 22, 2019 - 12:00am

CAMP VICENTE LIM, Laguna , Philippines  —  Agents of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) and local police have launched pursuit operations for a police chief and two of his men tagged in the killing of a son of Mayor Marcelo Gayeta of Sariaya, Quezon.

“The officers remain at large... We are preparing the criminal charges against them,” Dominador Villanueva, NBI-Quezon office chief, said yesterday.

Superintendent Mark Joseph Laygo, former Tayabas police chief, Police Officer 2 John Siman and PO1s Perry Malabaguio and William Ricamonte were relieved from their posts over the killing of Gayeta’s son Christian and his companion Christopher Manalo in Tayabas last week.

Senior Superintendent Osmundo de Guzman was also replaced as Quezon police director based on the doctrine of command responsibility.

Villanueva said two counts of murder are being readied against Laygo and the three police officers.

Senior Superintendent Joseph Arguelles, Quezon police director, said an administrative case for grave misconduct would also be filed against the police officers before the Regional Internal Affairs office of the Calabarzon police.

Chief Superintendent Edward Carranza, regional police director, assured Gayeta’s family of their cooperation in the parallel probe being conducted by the NBI.

The supposed encounter that killed Gayeta’s son was not in accordance with operational procedure, Carranza said.

Initial investigation showed that the victims were not involved in a shooting incident and there was no pursuit operation that led to a supposed gunfight.

MARCELO GAYETA NATIONAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with