^

Headlines

Philippines sees another 17,231 coronavirus infections in new record high 

Philstar.com
Philippines sees another 17,231 coronavirus infections in new record high 
A barangay worker checks the temperature of residents queuing in Barangay Baesa, Quezon City for financial aid from the government on Aug. 16, 2021.
The STAR / Michael Varcas

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Health on Friday reported 17,231 more COVID-19 infections, bringing the national caseload to 1,807,800.

This is the highest number of new cases recorded since the start of the pandemic, surpassing the previous record high of 15,310 recorded in April last year. 

  • Active cases: 123,251 or 6.8% of the total

  • Recoveries: 5,595, pushing total to 1,653,351

  • Deaths: 317, bringing total to 31,198

Metro Manila to shift to MECQ; Unspent pandemic funds 

  • The government's pandemic task force last night voted to scale back restrictions in Metro Manila and Laguna, shifting both areas from Enhanced Community Quarantine to modified ECQ from August 21 to 31.

  • It also approved placing the province of Bataan under MECQ from August 23 until the month is out. 

  • A refresher of the protocols implemented under MECQ can be found here

  • Over P2 billion allotted for COVID-19 supplies last year will have to be sent back to the national treasury because the Department of Budget and Management’s procurement service failed to spend it.
  • A shipment of 582,500 doses of AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine procured by private firms arrived in the Philippines this morning. 

  • While private companies will retain 21% of the shipment, the remaining 79% will be distributed to the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority and 38 local governments, MMDA chairman Benhur Abalos said. 

COVID-19

COVID-19 TALLY PHILIPPINES

Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with