No US bases in Subic â Duterte
“I’ll just put on record my thoughts. I have nothing against America, I have nothing against China. But if you put bases here, you double the spectacle of a most destructive... just like Manila in the Second World War, one of the most devastated cities in the world,” the President Duterte said.
US Marine Corps/Lance Cpl. Mark Fike
No US bases in Subic — Duterte
Alexis Romero (The Philippine Star) - July 28, 2020 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — President Duterte will not allow American bases in Subic, saying it will lead to a war that may result in the “extinction of the Filipino race.”

During his fifth State of the Nation Address, Duterte said he read something about Americans’ supposed plan to go back to Subic last month.

“I’ll just put on record my thoughts. I have nothing against America, I have nothing against China. But if you put bases here, you double the spectacle of a most destructive... just like Manila in the Second World War, one of the most devastated cities in the world,” the President said.

“You put up a base at this time? This will ensure that a war breaks out because there will be atomic arsenals brought in. This will ensure the extinction of the Filipino race,” he added.

Duterte, who has been accused of being too soft with China on the West Philippine Sea issue, reiterated that he cannot do much when it comes to the maritime row.

Inutil ako diyan, sabihin ko sa inyo (I am useless on that, I tell you). And I’m willing to admit it: Talagang inutil ako diyan (I’m really useless there).”

PRESIDENT DUTERTE
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with