Duterte mocks those who spread rumors he is dead
Alexis Romero (philstar.com) - February 3, 2019 - 6:17pm

MANILA, Philippines (Updated 6:52 p.m.) — President Rodrigo Duterte Sunday proved that rumors about his death were greatly exaggerated as he appeared on online videos to mock those who claim that he has passed away. 

Duterte was seen in three videos posted on Facebook by his partner Cielito "Honeylet" Avanceña. In the first video, Avanceña was showing Duterte a copy of Sunday's issue of The STAR in a dining room. In the second and third videos, Duterte was addressing those who believe he is dead. 

"For those who believe in the news that I passed away, then I request of you, please pray for me, for the eternal repose of my soul. Thank you," Duterte said in one of the videos.

 

 

The 73-year-old president also promised to "interview" God and to relay the messages of his critics to Him.

"I will ask god first if he’s available for interview because I will go there. What is your message? I will relay it. Priests, bishops, everyone. And the last wish of the drug addicts, you list them all. I will be the one to bring them to heaven or hell, it depends," the president said in Filipino. 

 

 

Hours before Avanceña uploaded the videos, some users of social networking sites were speculating about the health of Duterte, noting that the president has not been seen in public since last Wednesday. 

 

 

Duterte's last public engagement was his attendance at the premiere of the movie about former Philippine National Police chief Ronald "Bato" dela Rosa in Mandaluyong City last Tuesday. 

Earlier, Duterte admitted to suffering from acute bronchitis and a migraine tied to a spinal injury he sustained in a motorcycle mishap in the 1960s. Duterte, the oldest person to be elected to the presidency, has also admitted to having Buerger’s disease, an illness caused by smoking. 

Last October, Duterte revealed he underwent endoscopy and colonoscopy and even raised the possibility that he may have cancer. Endoscopy seeks to examine a patient's digestive tract while colonoscopy aims to check the condition of the large intestine. Duterte, later on, claimed he was tested negative for cancer.

Despite Duterte's statement, about half of Filipinos believe the president has health problems, according to a recent poll. 

A nationwide Social Weather Stations survey conducted last month indicated that 66 percent of Filipinos are worried about Duterte's health, higher than the 55 percent recorded in September.

The poll, which used face-to-face interviews of 1,440 adults, also found 49 percent believe the president has health problems, more than double the 24 percent who thought otherwise.

NASAAN ANG PANGULO RODRIGO DUTERTE
As It Happens
LATEST UPDATE: February 3, 2019 - 5:40pm

Malacañang denies claims, such as that of Communist party founder Joma Sison on Sunday, that President Rodrigo Duterte has been in comatose.

Sison cited a "latest report" that is yet "to be verified or negated" in saying that Duterte has gone into coma late Sunday.

"The president is healthy. He's fine," says presidential spokesperson Harry Roque.

February 3, 2019 - 5:40pm

President Duterte mocks those who spread rumors that he is dead.

"For those who believe in the news that I passed away, then I request of you, please pray for the eternal repose of my soul," he says.

— Alexis Romero

October 9, 2018 - 6:27pm

President Duterte, fielding questions from reporters, on Tuesday evening, says he went to Hong Kong to buy pants and shirts.

"Whenever I go back to Davao for a short rest, wala na akong damit kasi tumaba na ako," he says.

He reiterates, as earlier reported by members of the cabinet, that he does not have cancer.

October 7, 2018 - 1:59pm

Liberal Party President Sen. Francis "Kiko" Pangilinan urges the public to focus on the country's economic health instead amid President Duterte's admission that he went to undergo tests at the Cardinal Santos hospital.

"The problem is we do not know if the President is serious or not. If this is true or simply another remark, he can claim it to be a joke. If he is serious, then full disclosure is required but if not, then it would be best that we stop such talk and focus our time and attention on looking for solutions to the serious problems of spiraling high prices of food, gasoline, and other basic commodities," Pangilinan said in a statement Sunday.

Last Friday, the Philippine Statistics Authority announced that the country's headline inflation further soared to a new nine-year high of 6.7 percent in September.

The Palace meanwhile assured the public on Sunday that the Duterte administration is "working double time" to ensure prices of basic goods become stable.

October 7, 2018 - 11:11am

Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque and Special Assistant to the President Bong Go once again issued contradicting statements regarding President Rodrigo Duterte’s whereabouts.

Duterte is now in Hong Kong with his common-law wife Honeylet Avanceña and daughter Kitty to “take [a] rest” over the weekend.  

Go, who is with the president in the sudden overseas trip, told Palace reporters that they arrived in Hong Kong early morning of Saturday. Roque, meanwhile, said Duterte was in Davao City around 5 p.m. of the same day.

Last week, the two officials both denied that Duterte paid a visit to the hospital amid reported “health rumors” on the president.

Duterte, however, confirmed that he was at the Cardinal Santos Medical Center on Wednesday for some tests.

The president and his companions are slated to arrive in Manila on Sunday.

October 7, 2018 - 10:17am

A new Social Weather Stations poll finds that 45 percent of adult Filipinos believe that President Rodrigo Duterte has health problems and 61 percent say his state of health is a public matter.

The survey also shows that the belief that Duterte has health problems is stronger in Metro Manila, urban areas, upper classes and among those with higher educational attainment.

Meanwhile, 26 percent do not believe that Duterte has health problems. Twenty-nine percent are undecided about the matter.

The survey was conducted from September 15-23, 2018 using face-to-face interviews of 1,500 adults nationwide: 600 in Balance Luzon, and 300 each in Metro Manila, Visayas, and Mindanao.

On Thursday, Duterte admitted that he missed a Cabinet meeting last Wednesday as he went to Cardinal Santos hospital for tests. His admission came after Palace officials denied he went to the hospital amid questions on the president's health. 

Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with