Pemberton skips preliminary probe on Laude slay
Louis Bacani (The Philippine Star) - October 21, 2014 - 5:07pm

MANILA, Philippines - American soldier Private First Class Joseph Scott Pemberton did not attend on Tuesday the preliminary investigation of the alleged killing of Filipino transgender Jennifer Laude.

During the televised proceeding at the Olongapo City Prosecutor's Office, Pemberton's lawyer said the subpoena served to the suspect on October 17 did not require his personal appearance in the probe.

"The subpoena only gave Pemberton a period of 10 days... or until October 27 within which to submit his counter-affidavit," lawyer Rowena Flores told Prosecutor Emilie Fe delos Santos.

Flores added that she would avail of the 10-day period to study the case and the various documents submitted by the complainants before filing the counter-affidavit.

Delos Santos, however, said Pemberton should attend the next preliminary probe on October 27.

Pemberton, the United States marine accused of killing Laude in a hotel in Olongapo last week, is believed to be currently held onboard the USS Peleliu docked at the Subic port.

Besides him, four other American soldiers who were tagged as witnesses also skipped the preliminary probe. The Department of Foreign Affairs earlier confirmed that they had left the Philippines.

DELOS SANTOS DEPARTMENT OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS JENNIFER LAUDE OLONGAPO OLONGAPO CITY PROSECUTOR PEMBERTON PRIVATE FIRST CLASS JOSEPH SCOTT PEMBERTON PROSECUTOR EMILIE FE ROWENA FLORES SUBIC UNITED STATES
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with