Acting MMDA chief steps down 2 days before Duterte order
Mike Frialde (philstar.com) - August 22, 2016 - 6:06pm
MANILA, Philippines -- Emerson Carlos, officer-in-charge of the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority, stepped down from office last Friday, two days before President Rodrigo Duterte said he was declaring all appointive government positions vacant since the bureaucracy had not heeded his call to stop corruption.
 
According to the MMDA, Carlos was replaced by Thomas Orbos, the agency’s general manager as officer-in-charge. According to the MMDA, the president has yet to appoint a permanent agency head.
 
A source at the MMDA said Carlos stepped down as officer-in-charge of the MMDA after Malacañang appointed Julia Nebrija as the agency’s assistant general manager for operations.
 
Carlos previously stepped down as chairperson of the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority at the end of the Aquino administration. He later returned to the agency as its officer-in-charge and concurrently its assistant general manager for operations.
 
In an order dated July 8, 2016, Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea ordered Carlos to assume the post.
 
“In the exigency of service, please be informed that you are hereby designated as officer-in-charge, Metro(politan) Manila Development Authority. You are hereby ordered to continue to perform the functions of the office and ensure the continuous delivery of public service until a chairman is appointed,” Medialdea said in his order. 

Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with