8 dead in Cavite shooting rampage
Rosalinda L. Orosa (The Philippine Star) - January 4, 2013 - 11:38am

 

MANILA, Philippines - Police shot dead a drug-crazed man who went on a shooting rampage in Cavite province on Friday morning, which left at least seven people dead and six more wounded.
 
Senior Superintendent Dionicio Borromeo of the Cavite Police Provincial Office said that only eight people, including the shooter identified as Ronald Bae, were killed in the shooting rampage that started at past 8 a.m. in Barangay Tabon 1 in Kawit town.
 
Earlier reports said that the shooter killed nine people before he was shot dead by responding policemen.
 
Also included in the list of fatalities were Rhea de Vera, who was pregnant, and Michaela Caimol, 7, who were both neighbors of the shooter.
 
The other identified fatalities were Alberto Fernandez, Boyet Toledo, Irene Funelas and Al Orio.
 
Cavite Governor Jonvic Remulla said in a radio interview that based on statements from the residents of Barangay Tabon 1, Bae had been hiding from the authorities after he was included in the local police's drug watchlist.
 
Remulla said that Bae reportedly returned to Barangay Tabon 1 on December 31. He said he received reports that Bae had been having a drinking spree with his buddies since December 31 and has not slept since, probably because he had also been using illegal drugs.
 
Police said that Bae emerged from his house brandishing a firearms .45 pistol around 9:30 a.m. escorted by a certain John Paul.
 
Based on initial police investigations, Bae's first victim was Fernandez, who was just living beside his house in the barangay.
 
Reports said that Fernandez was petting a dog when Bae spotted and shot him dead. The dog was also killed by the shooter.
 
After shooting Fernandez, Bae barged inside another neighbor's home and shot three children, including Michaela, who were then watching television. Michaela's siblings KC, 3 and Rachel, 2, were injured and rushed to a hospital.
 
A report by radio dzMM said that Bae had covered Michaela and her sisters with a mattress thinking that he had killed the three children.
 
After shooting the three children, Bae shot dead Toledo, a tricycle driver and Orio, a taho vendor. Bae then went inside the house of De Vera and shot her dead inside her bathroom.
 
Bae then walked to a nearby public market, where he killed Funelas, who was a fruit vendor.
 
Police said that Bae was escorted by John Paul while randomly shooting at people. Reports said that the shooter forced John Paul to reload his gun's magazines.
 
Remulla said that the provincial government is offering a P100,000 reward for the immediate arrest of John Paul.

ALBERTO FERNANDEZ BAE BARANGAY TABON BOYET TOLEDO CAVITE GOVERNOR JONVIC REMULLA DE VERA FERNANDEZ JOHN PAUL MICHAELA
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with