Lawyer who survived ambush charged
(The Philippine Star) - February 24, 2018 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — Charges of homicide and illegal possession of firearms have been filed against a lawyer and his companions who survived an ambush try in Quezon City last week, an official said yesterday.

Chief Superintendent Guillermo Eleazar, Quezon City Police District (QCPD) director, said they filed charges against lawyer Argel Joseph Cabatbat and five others, including the supposed owner and seller of the gun used, with the city prosecutor’s office on Thursday night.

Those who face homicide charges include Cabatbat, John Ramos, Ardee Llaneras, and Rodel dela Cruz, all of whom were inside the vehicle during the shootout that followed the ambush try and resulted in the death of Police Officer 1 Mark Ayeras, 32, on Feb. 13.

Cabatbat and Ramos, who was the one who shot Ayeras, were also charged with illegal possession of firearm and ammunition.

The owner of the 9mm Beretta pistol, George Cabatbat, and Rodolfo Domingo also face charges of unlawful acquisition or possession of firearms and the illegal transfer of firearms. 

This comes after the autopsy on Ayeras’ body showed that the cause of his death were the gunshot wounds in his torso and leg.

Eleazar said it is standard procedure to file charges against persons if they are involved in a shooting incident that led to a death.

“It’s procedural because someone died and the firearm used is not registered to any of them. We will let the prosecutor decide if these will be filed in court,” he said in a text message. 

Investigation showed that Cabatbat, Ramos, Llaneras and Dela Cruz were cruising along EDSA’s northbound lane when they were attacked by three men on two motorcycles.

When their vehicle was fired upon, Ramos supposedly took out the handgun owned by the lawyer’s uncle from the compartment and exchanged fire with the assailants.

Ayeras was killed in the shootout while his companion, identified as John Paul Napoles, was arrested after Cabatbat’s vehicle crashed into their motorcycle.

The third assailant has yet to be identified.

Frustrated murder and illegal possession of firearms charges have been filed against Napoles.

Philstar
Facebook
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with