Phl to send 336 peacekeepers to Golan Heights
Rosalinda L. Orosa (The Philippine Star) - November 28, 2013 - 10:00pm

MANILA, Philippines (Xinhua) - A new contingent of peacekeepers consisting of 336 officers and enlisted personnel will be leaving for Golan Heights in Syria starting Friday, a Philippine military official said today.

The new batch of peacekeepers will replace the 332 Filipino peacekeepers who extended their term of duty several times in the troubled territory.

Philippine Army chief Lt. Gen. Noel Coballes said the peacekeepers will be transported in three batches, of which the first one will leave on Friday, and the second batch will leave on Saturday and the last one will depart for Golan Heights on Dec. 7.

The Philippine government earlier said it decided to continue sending troops to the troubled area following assurances given by the United Nations to ensure the safety of Filipino peacekeepers.

Twenty-five members of the 332-man peacekeeping contingent were abducted earlier this year, prompting the government to review its deployment to Golan Heights.  
 

BATCH CONTINGENT GOLAN GOLAN HEIGHTS HEIGHTS NOEL COBALLES PEACEKEEPERS PHILIPPINE PHILIPPINE ARMY UNITED NATIONS XINHUA
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with