^

Cases challenging Bongbong Marcos' presidential candidacy

May 17, 2022 | 8:34am
+ Follow Story
Cases challenging Bongbong Marcos' presidential candidacy
May 17, 2022

The legal challenge against candidacy of Bongbong Marcos, presumptive president-elect, reaches the Supreme Court. 

Petitioners, led by Atty. Ted Te, seeking the cancellation of his certificate of candidacy, filed their petition on Monday.

"[A] candidate’s putative election victory cannot subsequently cure his ineligibility. Elections are more than just a numbers game such that an election victory cannot bypass election eligibility requirements," petitioners tell the high court. — Kristine Joy Patag

May 10, 2022

The camp of presidential bet Bongbong Marcos says they are "happy" to receive the news of the Comelec's decision to dismiss the disqualification cases against the latter.

"The unanimous En Banc decision has proven, once and for all, that no amount of undue political pressure can weaken the resolve of the honorable Commission to be on the side of truth and justice," Marcos spokesperson Vic Rodriguez says.

February 10, 2022

The Commission on Elections' First Division is allowing Bongbong Marcos Jr. to run for president, spokesperson James Jimenez announces in a tweet.

Aimee Ferolino and Marlon Casquejo, poll body commissioners, have dismissed the consolidated disqualification case in a 43-page decision, citing "lack of merit."

The cases challenged Marcos' candidacy, citing his conviction for failing to submit his income tax returns for several years in the 1980s.

February 1, 2022

The Campaign Against the Return of the Marcoses and Martial Law (CARMMA) calls on Comelec to release the first division's decision on the petitions to disqualify presidential bet Bongbong Marcos.

This comes after Commissioner Rowena Guanzon claimed that certain powerful figures are meddling to delay the release of the decision.

"Today, we express our support to Commissioner Guanzon and her bravery in standing her ground against these criminal and malevolent efforts which clearly aim to pressure the First Division to rule in favor of Marcos Jr. and his pack of lies," CARMMA says in a statement.

January 17, 2022

The lawyers of petitioners seeking the cancelation of Bongbong Marcos Jr.’s certificate of candidacy for president says Comelec Second Division denied their plea. — Kristine Joy Patag

January 17, 2022

The Comelec's decision on the disqualification cases against presidential aspirant Bongbong Marcos is delayed due to COVID-19.

In an interview with radio dzMM, Comelec Director 3 Elaiza Sabile David says a staff member of one of the Comelec commissioners handling the petitions against Marcos tested positive for COVID-19.

"Magkakaroon po ng delay po sa paglabas ng decision ng promulgation," David says.

January 10, 2022

Presidential aspirant Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. sohuld be cited for contempt over his absence from a Commission on Elections proceeding last week for medical reasons that have now been cast in doubt, Akbayan part-list says.

It emerged over the weekend that Marcos, who begged off from the January 7 hearing on bids to disqualify him as a candidate, may not have been as sick as his doctor claimed in a medical certificate. 

A clip showed him appearing on an online radio show of DZME on the afternoon of January 6 after his doctor had examined him for fever, a congested throat and other symptoms. He had been ordered to rest, the reason given for his absence from the hearing.

"He lied through his teeth. He deserves to be held in contempt," Akbayan says in a statement on Monday. 

"The fact that he was able to give a radio interview less than a day before his required appearance in a hearing is not only proof of deception, it shows the whole nation that he does not care about our laws and the procedures that bind every citizen to follow them," the group says.

November 25, 2021

Comelec Second Division rejects petitioners’ appeal questioning the grant of motion to extend the period for submission of Verified Answer filed by the legal team of presidential aspirant Bongbong Marcos. — Kristine Joy Patag

Counsel for petitioners Ted Te says Marcos, a presidential aspirant, is yet to submit a verified answer to the Commission on Elections' summons about the petitions against his candidacy, seeking instead an extension for filing.

Marcos and his lawyers supposedly have until November 16 to file their answer, reports Kristine Joy Patag.

Philstar
Facebook
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with