Garcia declines RDC-7 chairmanship
Lorraine Ecarma (The Freeman) - September 21, 2019 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines —  Cebu Governor Gwendolyn Garcia declined her nomination as chairman of the Regional Development Council in Central Visayas to focus on her mission to bring back the province to being number one in the country.

Garcia was nominated by Bohol Governor Arthur Yap during the RDC-7’s 3rd full council meeting in Cebu City yesterday.

"Thank you for your vote of confidence. But at present this representation thinks Cebu needs my 101 percent attention and so I respectfully decline the nomination," Garcia said.

Garcia said she also wants to give others a chance to lead the RDC since she had been chairman of the council during her previous terms.

Instead, Garcia nominated Yap for the position. The Bohol governor tried to also decline the nomination but was forced to accept since they needed a nominee from the public sector.

"I accept to be nominated but I also would like to send word that only for that reason I accept-- so that we can send a nomination," Yap clarified.

Yap said the best person to be nominated for the position is the current chairman Kenneth Cobonpue, who represents the private sector. Both Yap and Cobonpue were nominated. Their names will be submitted by the National Economic Development Authority (NEDA) to President Rodrigo Duterte who will select from the list a chairman and co-chairman. — FPL (FREEMAN)

GWENDOLYN GARCIA
Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with