Killing of father, son in Sambag a conspiracy?
Mylen P. Manto (The Freeman) - March 9, 2019 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines — Insisting that there was conspiracy in the killing of a father and son a month ago in Barangay Sambag 1, Cebu City, the Bacaltos family filed yesterday a criminal complaint before the Cebu City Prosecutor’s Office against the alleged cohorts of Vincent Navales.

 

Lawyer Inocencio dela Cerna said Alma Bacaltos filed a murder complaint against Ryan Khristian Verano, George Aratea, Luigi Agtoto, and Crystal Estoce over the death of her husband, Edwin, and son, Shawn.

Edwin and Shawn were shot dead on January 21, 2019 outside their residence at J. Alcantara Street, Barangay Sambag 1 following a heated discussion with siblings Vincent and Vanzant, who also died during the encounter.

Vanzant reportedly had a personal grudge against Edwin’s son, Michael Vincent.

Dela Cerna said they were able to secure a closed-circuit television (CCTV) footages and affidavits of witnesses that would qualify the act as murder.

His clients at the time of the incident were defenseless, he said.

“Verano shot Shawn. Agtoto and Aratea were the getaway drivers, and Estoce was the girl who videod the event,” he said.

Vincent had been charged with homicide. Two counts of murder complaint were filed against Vincent, but Prosecutor III Rodulph Joseph Val Carrillo downgraded it to homicide.

“The theory of the complainant that respondent was in conspiracy with Vanzant Navales cannot be sustained. There is insufficient evidence that Vincent was animated by the same criminal intent with Vanzant. Vincent did not arrive together with Vanzant in the same vehicle, and he was not armed unlike Vanzant when he arrived at the scene,” Carillo ruled.

The only act that would implicate Vincent was that he was present at the scene and he drove away together with Ryan Khristian after the latter shot Shawn Edwin, Carillo added.

Vincent is currently free from detention after he posted the recommended bail before Regional Trial Court Branch 58.

Dela Cerna however, said a motion for reinvestigation was filed, claiming the case should be murder and not homicide.

“His (Vincent) actions of arriving together with Ryan Khristian Verano (at large) and driving away in the same vehicle with the latter after shooting Shawn is sufficient to charge Vincent in conspiracy with Ryan Khristian. This indicates a unit in the criminal purpose,” read the comment upon review penned by Carrillo.

Carillo said Vincent’s cohort, Ryan Khristian, will be prosecuted separately as soon as procedural requirements are complied with.

Aside from the filing a motion for reinvestigation, Dela Cerna said a motion to hold in abeyance the arraignment of Vincent was also sought. — KBQ (FREEMAN)

 

MURDER VINCENT NAVALES
Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with