^

Barangay captain killer’ charged

Garry B. Lao (The Freeman) - May 29, 2017 - 4:00pm

CEBU, Philippines - The alleged perpetrator in the killing of Mantuyong, Mandaue City Barangay Captain Antonio Maquilan has been charged with murder qualified by treachery.

Mandaue Police Station 1 Chief Janelito Marquez said the alleged perpetrator Julieto Jalang, who is still at large, has been charged before the Mandaue City Prosecutors Office. Marquez said the motive behind the killing of Maquilan appears to be work-related.

Before the shooting happened along B. Ceniza Street in Sitio Ihawan last month, Maquilan summoned Julieto's brother, Judito, and his wife Lucresia, to the police station to settle a complaint he filed for violation of city’s anti-vending ordinance.

Last March Maquilan, along with personnel from the city government, spearheaded the clearing operation of around 600 illegally-built market stalls along Ceniza, P.J. Burgos and P. Gomez streets in barangays Guizo and Mantuyong.

One of the vendors affected were the Jalangs.

Based on the report, the Jalangs allegedly disobeyed orders and resisted in the demolition, prompting Maquilan to file a complaint against them for disobedience and resistance to agents or persons in authority.

Following the meeting at the police station, an amicable settlement was reportedly reached and Maquilan manifested not to pursue his complaint anymore. (FREEMAN)

Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with