^

Nation

Slain Calbayog mayor’s kin to appeal DOJ decision

The Philippine Star

TACLOBAN CITY , Philippines — The family of slain Calbayog City mayor Ronaldo Aquino may appeal the decision of the Department of Justice (DOJ) dismissing the murder charges filed against Raymund Uy and former Samar vice governor Stephen James Tan, whom they claim to be the masterminds.

The DOJ dismissed the supplemental complaint of Aquino’s son Ronald Mark against Uy and Tan, saying “there is a strong indication that it is merely an afterthought.”

Ronald Mark said the case against the two is not yet closed.

“We and the NBI (National Bureau of Investigation) are still gathering more evidence to strengthen our charges against them and show proof that they were behind the killing,” he said.

Ronald Mark said a source from the NBI hinted that the investigating body found evidence that would substantiate the allegations against Uy and Tan.

The NBI affirmed that the killing of Aquino and three others in March last year was an ambush and not a shootout as claimed by the policemen.

Aquino, his security aide S/Sgt. Rodeo Sario, driver Dennis Abayon and passerby Clint John Paul Yauder were killed in the ambush. Another aide of the mayor, Mansfield Labonite, was wounded.

In a resolution dated Dec. 15, 2021, the DOJ said a panel of prosecutors approved the filing of frustrated murder and four counts of murder against nine policemen in connection with the killing.

DOJ

Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with