Palace hands off on arrest of critics
“We leave that to the authorities because they enforce the laws,” presidential spokesman Harry Roque Jr. said yesterday.
Presidential photo/Joey Dalumpines
Palace hands off on arrest of critics
Christina Mendez (The Philippine Star) - May 17, 2020 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — Malacañang officials yesterday distanced themselves from a series of arrests of individuals who openly criticized President Duterte and his allies on social media.

“We leave that to the authorities because they enforce the laws,” presidential spokesman Harry Roque Jr. said yesterday.

Roque took note of the decision of the Department of Justice (DOJ), which found that the National Bureau of Investigation’s warrantless arrest of public school teacher Ronnel Mas last week was invalid but that defect was “cured” when he admitted to members of media that he posted on Twitter an offer of P50 million for Duterte’s death.

The Palace issued a statement after some sectors questioned the crackdown on perceived critics of Duterte on social media.

“We leave it to the authorities but if authorities make a mistake, other government agencies correct it,” Roque said in Filipino.

The DOJ, however, is pursuing charges of inciting to sedition in relation to the anti-cybercrime law against Mas.

DOJ HARRY ROQUE JR.
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with