Philippines monitoring Ebola outbreak in Congo
Mayen Jaymalin (The Philippine Star) - September 17, 2019 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine goverrnment is monitoring the outbreak of Ebola virus in the Democratic Republic of Congo to prevent the spread of the disease in the country, an official said yesterday.

Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello said the government would not yet ban the deployment of overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) to Congo.  

The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared Ebola a public emergency concern, according to the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration.

Other government agencies monitoring the Ebola epidemic are the Bureau of Quarantine, Bureau of Immigration and Civil Aeronautics Board.

The WHO previously reported that Congo is grappling with the world’s second largest Ebola epidemic.

A total of 3,099 Ebola cases with 2,074 deaths have been recorded worldwide since an outbreak was declared in August.

Five years ago, the government stopped the deployment of OFWs to Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone due to Ebola outbreak.           

EBOLA VIRUS
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Recommended
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with