Carlwyn Baldo posts P8.7-million bail; to remain in jail
Philippine National Police spokesman Brig. Gen. Bernard Banac said the PNP is monitoring the situation in Daraga to prevent violence between the relatives and supporters of Batocabe and Baldo.
Carlwyn Baldo FB Page
Carlwyn Baldo posts P8.7-million bail; to remain in jail
Cet Dematera (The Philippine Star) - September 5, 2019 - 12:00am

LEGAZPI CITY, Philippines — Former Daraga mayor Carlwyn Baldo, the alleged mastermind in the killing of Ako Bicol party-list Rep. Rodel Batocabe and his police escort, posted bail of P8.7 million at a court in this city yesterday.

Baldo’s legal counsel Merito Fernandez posted the amount in surety bond or in the form of land titles and other proof of property ownership of Baldo’s family.

However, Baldo has yet to be released from prison as Regional Trial Court Branch 10 Judge Maria Theresa Loquillano is on official leave.

According to reports gathered by The STAR, Loquillano would return on Monday.

Brig. Gen. Arnel Escobal, Bicol police director, said the court has yet to resolve the motion for reconsideration filed by the prosecution.

Batocabe’s family had earlier said it would also file perjury charges against the suspects who recanted their testimonies after receiving the reward given by the police.

“We prepared a welcome party... We really expected his release today,” Baldo’s supporters told The STAR yesterday as they expressed disappointment that the former mayor would remain in jail even though the release order had been signed.

In a 14-page decision issued last Friday, Loquillano granted Baldo’s motion to post bail, saying the prosecution failed to convince the court that the evidence of guilt against him was strong.

Loquillano said the weight of evidence required for bail purposes is not proof beyond reasonable doubt, but strong evidence of guilt.  

A lawyer had earlier said Baldo’s release would be faster if the bail is paid in cash. He said paying in surety bond is “tedious.”

The court recommended bail of P6 million if paid in cash.

Philippine National Police spokesman Brig. Gen. Bernard Banac said the PNP is monitoring the situation in Daraga to prevent violence between the relatives and supporters of Batocabe and Baldo.

Batocabe and his police escort Orlando Diaz were shot dead after attending a gift-giving event for senior citizens in Barangay Burgos in December.

The supposed plot to kill Batocabe was hatched in August last year when he announced his plan to run for mayor of Daraga. – With Emmanuel Tupas

CARLWYN BALDO MURDER RODEL BATOCABE
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with