Measles cases up 962% in Negros Occidental
Gilbert Bayoran (The Philippine Star) - August 30, 2019 - 12:00am

BACOLOD CITY, Philippines — The number of measles cases in Negros Occidental surged by 962 percent this year, according to the provincial health office.

At least 828 cases and five deaths were reported from Jan. 1 to Aug. 3 compared to only 72 cases during the same period last year.

Provincial health officer Ernell Tumimbang said 54 percent of the patients have no vaccination against measles.

Negros Occidental Gov. Eugenio Jose Lacson said the increase in the number of measles cases is not considered alarming. He said the provincial government is more focused in its campaign against dengue.

Thirty-seven people have died of dengue in the province since January.

MEASLES
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with