NCRPO chief: No threat to Independence Day rites
Janvic Mateo (The Philippine Star) - June 7, 2018 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — The National Capital Region Police Office is ready for rallies to be conducted by militant groups during the Independence Day commemoration next week, NCRPO director Chief Superintendent Guillermo Eleazar announced yesterday.

Speaking on the sidelines of the weekly Kapihan sa Manila Bay, Eleazar said they have not monitored any threat to the activities set on June 12.

“So far, we have not monitored any threat. But we will be coordinating with concerned agencies, especially the intelligence community and the AFP (Armed Forces of the Philippines),” he said.

The NCRPO chief said security measures are in place for the Independence Day celebration.

“We will deploy additional policemen for the event,” Eleazar said. “We will see to it that the anti-crime operations will not be neglected.”

Last year, President Duterte skipped the Independence Day rites in Rizal Park in Manila supposedly to focus on the Marawi siege.

It was Vice President Leni Robredo who led the ceremony.      

GUILLERMO ELEAZAR INDEPENDENCE DAY RIZAL PARK
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with