‘Mindanao power supply unstable amid NGCP tower bombings’
(The Philippine Star) - December 28, 2015 - 9:00am

MANILA, Philippines – The Mindanao power grid faces an unpredictable supply this holiday season in the wake of the bombings of at least four transmission towers since last week, according to the National Grid Corp. of the Philippines (NGCP).

In a text advisory, the NGCP said Tower 4 of Balo-i-Agus 2 138-kiloVolt line in Nangka, Balo-i was bombed yesterday morning.

“Repairs will start as soon as area is secured. Fortunately the tower did not topple,” the text message added.

Tower 153 along the Kabacan-Tacurong 138-kV line in Taverdo, Buluan, Maguindanao was also bombed on Dec. 23 and Towers 25 in Barangay Gandamatu, Ramain, Lanao del Sur and Tower 95 in Barangay Aroman in Carmen, North Cotabato on Dec. 24.  

The NGCP said the bombings are getting closer to critical substations.

Intelligence reports showed lawless elements are targeting at least eight towers during the holiday season.

The NGCP is appealing to local governments and the military for assistance in resolving security issues involving its transmission lines. 

The NGCP has been facing right-of-way issues along its major transmission facilities in Mindanao.

 Three transmission lines have been non-operational since July 2014 due to vegetation problems and landowners who refuse entry to NGCP personnel to clear and restore toppled lines.

AGUS BALO BARANGAY AROMAN BARANGAY GANDAMATU BULUAN KABACAN-TACURONG LANAO MINDANAO NATIONAL GRID CORP NORTH COTABATO SUR AND TOWER
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with