Sandiganbayan: Plunder convicts can still run for office
More than a hundred hopefuls filed their COCs in the last five days. Among them are former Sens. Juan Ponce Enrile, Ramon “Bong” Revilla and Jinggoy Estrada who are facing plunder cases at the anti-graft court over their involvement in the Priority Development Assistance Fund scam.
File
Sandiganbayan: Plunder convicts can still run for office
(Philstar.com) - October 17, 2018 - 6:00pm

MANILA, Philippines — The Sandiganbayan said on Wednesday that a conviction on plunder does not bar an aspirant from seeking a political position, until the judgment becomes final and executory.

Sandiganbayan Presiding Judge Amparo Cabotaje-Tang said: “Conviction per se is not a disqualification. The judgment of conviction must be final and executory.”

An accused is allowed to file an appeal or motion for reconsideration on a ruling. It may also be elevated to the Supreme Court.

“This means that the judgment of conviction is ripe for the execution which is realized by the service of the sentence by the convicted accused,” Tang added.

“So, if there is pending [motion for reconsideration] or appeal from the judgment of conviction, the disqualification does not yet attach,” she also said.

The Commission on Elections wrapped up its application for filing of certificates of candidacy for the 2019 midterm elections on Wednesday.

More than a hundred hopefuls filed their COCs in the last five days. Among them are former Sens. Juan Ponce Enrile, Ramon “Bong” Revilla and Jinggoy Estrada who are facing plunder cases at the anti-graft court over their involvement in the Priority Development Assistance Fund scam.

They are accused of pocketing millions by funnelling public funds to bogus non-governmental organizations linked to alleged pork barrel scam mastermind Janet Napoles.

Estrada and Enrile are both out on bail.

In 2015, Supreme Court reversed the anti-graft court’s ruling and allowed Enrile to post bail citing his fragile health and advanced age.

A 94-year-old Enrile went to Comelec earlier on Wednesday to personally re-file his COC.

The Sandiganbayan, meanwhile, is set to rule on Revilla’s multimillion-peso plunder case. — Kristine Joy Patag

2019 MIDTERM ELECTIONS BONG REVILLA JINGGOY ESTRADA JUAN PONCE ENRILE
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with