Family, friends and supporters said their final goodbyes for 17-year-old Grade 11 student Kian Loyd Delos Santos at Sta. Quiteria Church. Twitter/The STAR, @ghio_ong

Enormous crowd attends funeral of Kian
(philstar.com) - August 26, 2017 - 3:55am

MANILA, Philippines (Update 2; 3:45 p.m.) — Family, friends and supporters said their final goodbyes for the teenage student who was shot dead after allegedly engaging cops in a shootout in Caloocan.

Mourners walked to reach Saturday's funeral for Kian Loyd delos Santos, whose death spawned public criticism and condemnation.

The crowd chanted "Stop the killings," "Justice for Kian" as Delos Santos' casket stopped before the Police Community Precinct 7 in Sta. Quiteria, Caloocan City, where the cops involved were assigned. They then marched towards Sta. Quiteria Church to hold a eulogy mass. 

Delos Santos was remembered as a sweet boy during the funeral service, where many people gathered to show their sympathy. 

"Tulad ng ibang ama na paborito ang anak nilang lalaki, ganoon din ako," said Saldy delos Santos, father of Kian Loyd in an emotional eulogy.

Former education secretary Armin Luistro and Public Attorneys Office Chief Persida Acosta were among those who arrived at the funeral mass to pray for the boy.

Delos Santos was laid to rest at La Loma Catholic Cemetery in Manila on Saturday afternoon. 

The 17-year-old Grade 11 student was among those killed in Metro Manila last week for his alleged involvement in drug trade. 

Three police officers accused of killing Delos Santos alleged that the victim fired at them, triggering a shootout.

But a security video showed two of the three officers dragging an individual to an alley where Delos Santos was later found. Witness accounts also disputed police claims that the senior high school student offered violent resistance against arresting authorities.

During a Senate hearing on Thursday, two forensic experts said two bullets entered the victim’s head, one behind the left ear and one through the ear itself.

Both experts said the bullets that entered the boy's head had an “upward trajectory,” indicating Delos Santos was kneeling face down when he was shot

On Friday, Malacañang admitted that the killing of Delos Santos was a “wake-up call” to reform government institutions but clarified that the war on drugs would continue despite the mounting number of deaths.

President Rodrigo Duterte has drawn flak from various advocacy groups for the spate of killings linked to his war on drugs. According to human rights activists, more than 12,000 people have died since the president launched his campaign last year. — Kristine Daguno-Bersamina

Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with