No extension for COC filing; 76 presidential bets so far
Sheila Crisostomo (The Philippine Star) - October 15, 2015 - 10:00am

MANILA, Philippines - The filing of certificates of candidacy (COCs), which ends at 5 p.m. today, will no longer be extended.

“There’s no plan at the moment. I don’t think it should be extended,” Commission on Elections (Comelec) Chairman Andres Bautista said yesterday.

As a policy, Comelec Law Department personnel shall receive the COCs of candidates who will arrive at the Comelec premises before 5 p.m.

“Those inside the building before 5 p.m. should be allowed to file. Their COCs will be accepted,” Bautista said.

At least 76 presidential hopefuls, 15 vice presidential aspirants and 83 senatorial bets have filed their COCs as of yesterday.

Those who filed their COCs for president as independent candidates were former Technical Education and Skills Development Authority director general Augusto Syjuco Jr., Elly Pamatong, former Presidential Commission on Good Government chairman Camilo Sabio and Sen. Grace Poe.

Vice President Jejomar Binay is running for president under the United Nationalist Alliance, Rizalito David for Kapatiran and Mar Roxas for the Liberal Party.

Sen. Gregorio Honasan (UNA), Albert Alba (Kapatiran), Leni Robredo (LP) and Sen. Francis Escudero (independent) filed their COCs for vice president.?Those running for senator include Sen. Panfilo Lacson (independent), Rep. Ferdinand Martin Romualdez (Lakas-CMD), Samuel Pagdilao (independent), Romeo Maganto (Lakas-CMD), Juan Miguel Zubiri (independent), actress Alma Moreno or Vanessa Lacsamana (UNA), Ana Theresia Hontiveros (Akbayan Citizen’s Action Party), Princess Jacel Kiram (UNA), Mark Lapid (Aksyon Demokratiko), Francis Tolentino (independent), Francis Pangilinan (LP), Sen. Franklin Drilon (LP), Rep. Roman Romulo (independent), Sen. Ralph Recto (LP), Rep. Sherwin Gatchalian (NPC),  Vicente Sotto III (NP), Lorna Kapunan (Aksyon Demokratiko), former justice secretary Leila de Lima (LP), Sen. Teofisto Guingona (LP), Sen. Serge Osmeña III (independent) and whistle-blower Sandra Cam (Partido ng Masang Pilipino).

Ordinary folks

More ordinary people are expected to file their COCs for local posts, Comelec spokesman James Jimenez said.

He said 48 candidates have so far filed their COCs for congressmen, 18 for governor, seven for vice governor and 60 for Sangguniang Panglalawigan. He said 106 wanted to run for mayor, 87 for vice mayor and 826 for councilors.

He said the submission rate at Comelec local offices as of yesterday is only three to five percent.           

He said the Comelec would conduct an assessment and call a hearing if necessary to determine who will be delisted from the list of official candidates.

He said those aspiring for national positions should prove their capability to mount a nationwide campaign, among other requirements.

Social media

Jimenez said social media has increased the interest of ordinary people in the elections.

“Social media is very accessible to almost everyone and it contributes to the excitement,” he said.

He said the poll body is not inclined to come up with rules on the use of social media in the campaign. “It is not something we would like to touch at the moment,” he said. –  With Mayen Jaymalin, Paolo Romero

ACIRC ACTION PARTY AKBAYAN CITIZEN AKSYON DEMOKRATIKO ALBERT ALBA ALMA MORENO COCS COMELEC INDEPENDENT NBSP SEN
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with