Group dares Noy to convict Palparan before he steps down
Dennis Carcamo (Philstar.com) - August 13, 2015 - 9:17pm
MANILA, Philippines - Rights group Karapatan has dared the Aquino administration to ensure the conviction of retired Maj. Gen. Jovito Palparan, the principal accused in the disappearance of two University of philippines (UP) students, before the President steps down in 2016.
 
"We dare Aquino to use his power to convict Gen. Palparan before he exits his post," Karapatan Secretary General Cristina Palabay said. 
 
Last year, Palparan was for arrested for charges of kidnapping and serious illegal detention of students Karen Empeño and Sherlyn Cadapan. He was brought to Philippine Army custody a month after his arrest. 
  
"We also urge the Department of Justice to pursue the case against Palparan in the Office of the Ombudsman for kidnapping and serious illegal detention charges filed by complainant Raymond and Reynaldo Manalo," Palabay said. 
 
The Ombudsman recently found probable cause on the Manalo brothers' charges against Palparan. 
 
They were abducted, tortured and held in captive by Palparan's men for a year and a half between 2006 and 2007.  They escaped their captors in 2007. It was during their captivity that they met Cadapan and Empeño. 
 
Recently, Judge Teodora Gonzalez, the trial judge case of the missing UP students, has inhibited from the case. 
 
"The move further delays the pursuit of justice for Palparan’s victims. But we remain will remain vigilant," Palabay said.

AQUINO ATILDE CADAPAN AND EMPE DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE DIV JOVITO PALPARAN JUDGE TEODORA GONZALEZ KARAPATAN KAREN EMPE MISSING UP STUDENTS NBSP PALPARAN
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with