For Cebu City policemen, performance-based allowance mulled
Jessa Agua (Banat) - October 2, 2013 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines - The idea of gun proficiency-based allowance for members of the Cebu City Police Office (CCPO) was revived during yesterday’s regular meeting of the Police Coordinating and Advisory Council (PCAC).

 

Councilor Richard Osmeña raised this notion hoping to bring back the setup during his late father Renato’s time as vice mayor of Cebu City.

“Councilor Richie (Osmeña) suggested nga ibalik tong allowance sa police nga performance based. Kanang dili across the board,” said PCAC chairman Eugene Elizalde.

The council has appointed Osmeña to head the program so that guidelines will be made.

Further, a gun proficiency contest is in the works in order also to assess the proficiency of police officers in the city.

“It’s a good idea. Instead of having an exam, we can have the contest. Also, we plan to acquire bullet reloader for our police force so we can cut cost and it is also found to be safer,” Elizalde said.

Mayor Michael Rama, for his part, does not approve of gun proficiency-based allowance system.

“I think that’s wrong. Kanang mga hingigo, mangita’g ig-on. Kay di man na ma-kontento,” Rama told reporters.

He added that allowance should be separated from incentive and remuneration.

“I don’t like to focus on gun proficiency. Wa man ko manginahanglan ug police nga maayo muigo ug ulo. Ang kinahanglan nako utok,” Rama continued.

Meanwhile, the longest “Oplan Kalag-Kalag” will transpire this year because it will also cover the barangay elections.

“This is the first time that we have it this long. It runs from October 25 to November 4. The mayor wanted it to start early expecting people to start going to cemeteries as early as 26,” the PCAC presiding officer said.

City Traffic Operations Management (CITOM) executive director Atty. Rafael Christopher Yap said their preparation and system will be the same as that of last year.

“No significant changes. The number of cemeteries are the same. Roads haven’t really changed also. So we’ll be using the same traffic scheme as last year,” Yap said.

Cebu City has a total of 22 cemeteries, six located in the upland area with three major points of concern including Calamba Cemetery, Carreta Cemetery and Cempark.

Elizalde said these areas are primarily listed for traffic and security concerns.

Rama called for a separate command conference Monday afternoon with CCPO director Noli Romana.

Romana said it was more of the mayor orienting the newly-installed chief of police being his first time.—(FREEMAN)

CALAMBA CEMETERY CARRETA CEMETERY AND CEMPARK CEBU CITY CEBU CITY POLICE OFFICE CITY TRAFFIC OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT COUNCILOR RICHARD OSME COUNCILOR RICHIE ELIZALDE RAMA
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with