CEBU, Philippines – Some 150 workers of Paul Yu, a Taiwanese-owned lamp shade factory, resumed their picket-protest outside the gates of the Mactan Export Processing Zone II in Lapu-Lapu City after more than a week of “fruitless negotiations” with management.
Willy Dondoyano, head of the Paul Yu Workers Association informed workers in the export zone that their fight continues.
Dondoyano said security guards at the export zone tried to cajole the picketers to disperse but the workers stood their ground. Despite the presence of the security guards, no untoward incident transpired as the peaceful protest continued.
The PYWA reiterated that the management should lift the suspension on their seven leaders and more than 300 workers.
Dondoyano said that in the face of management’s intransigence, the workers continue to demand that all be allowed to work without any retaliation from management and for negotiations to start on the labor standard violations of management.
“We refuse management’s offer that we be retrenched and paid a separation rate of P3,000 per year of service. Such an offer is in fact below the criteria set by the Labor Code,” he said in a statement sent to The FREEMAN.
Dennis Derige, spokesperson of Partido ng Manggagawa-Cebu, revealed that supporters of the Paul Yu workers from abroad have already contacted the major US customers of the company.
Derige said that since the suspension of more than 300 workers last June 22, hearings had been conducted at the National Conciliation and Mediation Board and the Department of Labor and Employment.
However, he added management has refused to grant the workers’ demand for the lifting of the suspension and the start of negotiations on their grievances.
Dondoyano said the picket yesterday will continue in the coming days until there is a breakthrough in the negotiations. — Mitchelle L. Palaubsanon/WAB (THE FREEMAN)