Freeman Cebu News ( Leaderboard Top ), pagematch: , sectionmatch: 1

Police to file charges vs Cebu Flash Report

CEBU, Philippines — The Police Regional Office (PRO)-7 has assured that charges will be filed against the administrators of a social media site responsible for a bomb-scare post in Barangay Basak, Lapu-Lapu City last July 4.

Chief Superintendent Jose Mario Espino, who faced members of Cebu Federation of Beat Journalists (CFBJ), said that the case folder against the Cebu Flash Report (CFR) has been recently located.

On July 4, Lapu-Lapu City Police Office explosive ordnance division (EOD) and bomb-sniffing dogs responded to the bomb alarm and clarified it was only a music component.

However, the CFR post has reached more than 10,000 mixed reactions, generated 1,000 comments and was shared 2,600 times, 27 minutes after it was posted.

On a recent post in November 3, CFR under its new management claimed that a settlement has been reached between the former PRO-7 head Noli Taliño and Lapu-Lapu City Mayor Paz Radaza.

Both Taliño and Radaza vehemently denied any settlement has been reached and also belied that there was a closed-door meeting that happened about the matter, which CFR made it appear in a post.

Freeman ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch:

Chief Inspector Leo Dofiles, of the Anti-Cybercrime Group-7, who led the investigation, said that the report was done and completed back in July.

“We already finished the investigation.  Na-identify na nato kinsa ang administrators sa CFR.  Then we made an investigation report, identifying the personalities involved with the evidences together with the affidavits.  It’s already complete,” Dofiles said.

However, police refused to disclose the names pinpointed during the investigation.

Dofiles previously said those implicated will be charged with violation of Section 6 of the Republic Act 10175 or the Anti-Cyber Crime Law and Presidential Decree 1727, or malicious dissemination of false information.

CFBJ President Elias Baquero, a seasoned journalist from Sun.Star Cebu, said that they were told that the case will be filed sometime next week.

“They told us ila i-file ang case next week.  Wala sila motug-an kung pila.  Wala sila motug-an unsa tawhana, but they urged us to get a copy of the complaint from the Cebu City Prosecutor’s Office,” Baquero said.

He added that this may serve as a warning to the people behind the fake news, as they will be traced and held liable.

“Mao ni ang magsilbing warning sa kaning mga grupo nga engaged in fake news. The filing of the PNP against CFR is a warning to all people nga dili mo-commit og fake news,” Baquero said. (FREEMAN)

Freeman ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch:
  • Follow Us: