Group calls for probe on case of underage human trafficking victim
Dennis Carcamo (Philstar.com) - September 30, 2015 - 3:18am

MANILA, Philippines - A migrant rights group on Wednesday called on the Philippine government to impose sanctions against the recruitment agency that allegedly deployed an underage Filipino domestic worker in Saudi Arabia.

Migrante Middle-East said that the Filipino woman had earlier told her fellow wards at Saudi's social welfare agency that she is only 17 years old. 

The group obtained her passport, showing she was from Kabuntalan, Maguindanao and was born Feb. 16, 1990.  

"She was brought by her employer at SWA on September 19, and that day was very weak. On 24th, we were informed that she could no longer walk and talk, and in a state of coma,” the group's regional director John Monterona said. 

He said the Filipino woman was a victim of human trafficking and was allegedly maltreated by her employer who brought her to the facility. 

"She undergone an operation Saturday, a blood clot in her brain was removed," he said. 

Monterona said that once the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration confirms her being under-aged and human trafficking victim, her recruiter's license should be immediately revoked and appropriate charges must be filed. 

FEB FILIPINO GROUP JOHN MONTERONA KABUNTALAN MAGUINDANAO MIGRANTE MIDDLE-EAST MONTERONA NBSP PHILIPPINE OVERSEAS EMPLOYMENT ADMINISTRATION SAUDI ARABIA
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with