^

Opinion

Justice Ignacio Villamor Street

CEBUPEDIA - Clarence Paul Oaminal - The Freeman

It is the road that starts from Justice Abad Santos Street, running in a northeast direction up to the end of the Gochan Subdivision, within the jurisdiction of Barangay Kasambagan, Cebu City.

The street naming is contained under City Ordinance No. 594 enacted on July 10, 1967 by the Cebu City Council. The ordinance named 15 streets within the Gochan Subdivision now called Barangay Kasambagan. Majority of the names were named after Presidents of the Philippines.

The ordinance named three streets after members of the judiciary, namely: Chief Justice Jose Abad Santos, Justice Ramon Avancena and Justice Ignacio Villamor.

Justice Ignacio Villamor was born on February 2, 1860 in Bangued, Abra. He went to San Juan de Letran for his undergraduate course and his Masters of Law at the University of Santo Tomas.

Justice Villamor, earned the title of being the first Filipino president of the University of the Philippines. He succeeded the First UP president, the American Murray Bartlett. He served as University of the Philippines President from June 7, 1915 to 1920. Upon leaving the University of the Philippines he was appointed as associate justice of the Supreme Court.

Justice Villamor was the country's solicitor general from 1906 to 1908. He then became attorney general from 1908 to 1914.

The University of the Philippines was created in June 18, 1908 by virtue of Act No. 1870 enacted by the Philippine Assembly. It was during the Presidency of Justice Villamor that UP Cebu was established. It was Governor Manuel Roa who petitioned on April 30, 1918 the establishment of the UP branch in Cebu. It was on May 3, 1918 through the assistance of the Cebuano Speaker of the Philippine Assembly, Don Sergio Suico Osmeña Sr. that approved Act No. 2759, the law that created UP Cebu. It was then called the "Junior College of Liberal Arts in Cebu," then Junior College of UP. It was formally opened on July 1, 1918 with Don Paulino Arandia Gullas (Founder of The FREEMAN) as the First Registrar and Dr. Lawrence Wharton as the first dean, the first location of UP Cebu was at Warwick-Barracks along Leon Kilat Street  now called Don Mamerto Escano Street in Barangay Ermita, Cebu City.

Villamor was succeeded as UP president by Guy Potter Benton, who was succeeded by Rafael Palma (the street that intersects M.J. Cuenco and Sergio "Serging" Osmeña Boulevard along the Cebu Technological University is named after him).

Justice Villamor married Mariquita Flores who was the daughter of Jose Flores. Jose was the brother of Maria Espina Flores the mother of Mariano Flores Manguerra who married Concepcion Alesna Cuenco who, was the daughter of Don Mariano Jesus Diosomito Cuenco (who served as governor of Cebu and senator of the Republic, and the street named as M.J. Cuenco, formerly called Calle de los Martires is named after him). Don M.J. Cuenco married Filomena Barcenilla Alesna, who was the daughter of Evaristo Barcenilla Alesna and Cresencia Ynosencia Sanchez-Villarosa.

Justice Igancio Villamor and Mariquita Flores are the parents of Ace Pilot and World War II hero, Jesus Antonio Villamor. Pilot Villamor had the rank of colonel and was leader of the 6th Pursuit Squadron. President Magsaysay on January 21, 1954 conferred him the Medal of Valor for his services during the war as pilot and intelligence officer. The Nichols Field (named after Captain Taylor Nichols of the Philippine Scouts) was renamed after Colonel Jesus Antonio Villamor.

[email protected]

 

ACE PILOT AND WORLD WAR

ACT NO

AMERICAN MURRAY BARTLETT

BARANGAY KASAMBAGAN

CEBU

CEBU CITY

GOCHAN SUBDIVISION

JUSTICE

JUSTICE VILLAMOR

UNIVERSITY OF THE PHILIPPINES

VILLAMOR

  • Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with