Cebu’s quarantine site offers fresh air, nature
Lorraine L. Ecarma, Mary Ruth R. Malinao (The Freeman) - February 22, 2020 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines —  The Cebu City government has identified the City Resources Management and Development Center (CREMDEC) in Barangay Taptap as the temporary facility where persons under monitoring (PUMs) due to COVID-19 will be placed.

Mayor Edgardo Labella together with some city officials conducted an ocular inspection yesterday at the facility, which can accommodate about 50 persons.

“I think this is very conducive... especially that the surrounding, there’s fresh air, there are plants around,” said Labella.

He stressed that only PUMs, who cannot be home quarantined, will be put in the facility.

These persons are those who have in their homes child below 10 years old, senior citizen above 65 years old, pregnant woman, and those who are immunocompromised like having diabetes and cancer.

PUMs are classified as those asymptomatic or persons producing or showing no symptoms, but have travel history in the countries China, Macau, Taiwan, and Hong Kong.

Labella said instead of being monitored in their homes, the PUMs, will be monitored at CREMDEC, which will be under the City Health Department’s supervision.

Philippine National Police (PNP) personnel will also be placed there.

“Wa gyu’y angay kabalak-an kay ang dalhon dinhi, pareho ra sa dalhon sa panimalay,” he said.

City Health Officer Daisy Villa, for her part, said that the PUMs to be placed at CREMDEC are only allowed to roam around within the vicinity of the facility.

“So far sad, sa atong nakita, di ta maguol. Kay ang nakita nato, wa pa gyu’y local infection. Wa pa’y taga-Cebu or taga-Pilipinas nga nasakit aning sakita. Kadaghanan sa atong nasakit are mga foreign,” said Villa.

Labella also talked to the residents in the barangay to inform them of the city government’s plan and assured them of their safety even with the PUMs presence at CREMDEC.

He also said he will provide 1,000 pieces of face masks and one mini bus.

Meanwhile, another three PUMs have been sent home from the province’s quarantine facility.

Of the three, two were allowed to leave last Thursday and the other one was yesterday, according to Dr. Christina Giango, Provincial Health Office head.

This is because the PUMs have completed the mandatory 14-day quarantine period without exhibiting any symptoms of the COVID-19.

This leaves with only 12 PUMs currently held at the Women and Children Development Center in Lahug.

This is one of the three provincial facilities currently identified as quarantine facilities for Filipino passengers from Mainland China, Hong Kong and Macau.

Among the facilities is an evacuation center in Barangay Apas, Cebu City and the New Life rehabilitation center in the Municipality of Pinamungajan.

Both facilities are now empty.

Three more PUMs are set to be released today for having completed the required days of quarantine.  (FREEMAN)

COVID-19
Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Recommended
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with