“I would still be a strong component of an all-out war against (the) NPA’s and terrorist that continue to wreak havoc on our efforts on attaining peace,” said Garcia.
File
Against insurgents: Continue with all-out war - Garcia
Alicia Chua (The Freeman) - December 20, 2019 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines — Cebu Governor Gwendolyn Garcia has assured that she remains a strong supporter of the all-out war against the New People’s Army (NPAs) and the terrorists.

It can be recalled that Garcia was the first to declare an all-out war against the insurgents operating in the Province of Cebu in 2006, way back when she was still the Regional Peace and Order Council (RPOC-7) chairman.

“I would still be a strong component of an all-out war against (the) NPA’s and terrorist that continue to wreak havoc on our efforts on attaining peace,” said Garcia.

She added that back when she declared an all-out war, it was misunderstood thinking that blood will be shed in the fight, but what was done was actually a holistic approach to the problems of communist insurgency and that was poverty and lack of opportunity.

A holistic program was provided to the NPA members who wished to surrender and even incentives of P30,000 was given for every firearm surrendered.

The reintegration back to the community of the NPAs who surrendered was also done before.

“I still feel the same way, I think the only way to win this war is to take a definite position. How can we support or even be friendly with these forces who wish to put up their own parallel government that do not recognize the existence of the legitimate government that we have?” Garcia said.

In March 2010, the Cebu province had been declared insurgency-free by the Armed Forces of the Philippines.

The lead role in the maintenance of its internal security had been turned over to the local executives and the police.

A resolution was even signed jointly by the local officials, Philippine National Police, and the AFP during the formal turnover ceremony held in Balamban town.

It was stated in the resolution that all 44 municipalities and eight cities in Cebu are already free from the influence of the New People’s Army (NPA). (FREEMAN)  

NEW PEOPLE’S ARMY
Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Recommended
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with