City Legal Officer Rey Gealon said the request of the vendors is contrary to the existing laws, rules, and regulations, especially the Department of the Interior and Local Government memorandum circular stating that roads and streets should be clear of any form of obstructions which is also the directive of President Rodrigo Duterte.
The STAR/Michael Varcas
CH: Vendors cannot sell along sidewalk
Mary Ruth R. Malinao (The Freeman) - November 22, 2019 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines — The City Legal Office has denied the request of United Small Vendors and Traders of Cebu City (USVTCC) to be allowed to sell on the sidewalk area along N. Bacalso Avenue.

City Legal Officer Rey Gealon said the request of the vendors is contrary to the existing laws, rules, and regulations, especially the Department of the Interior and Local Government memorandum circular stating that roads and streets should be clear of any form of obstructions which is also the directive of President Rodrigo Duterte.

“The city cannot allow the vendors to return to the sidewalks to sell without violating the law. It is for that basic reason that the CLO has to strongly recommend to the mayor the denial of their request,” said Gealon.

The USVTCC, through a letter dated September 10, 2019, requested the city government to allow them to sell on the sidewalk. The letter was referred to the Office of the City Administrator and was subsequently endorsed to City Market Administrator Jonil Matuguina.

Matuguina issued a handwritten note stating that the vendors should wait for the decision of a four-man team. However, he stated that to grant their request is “far from reality because of the DILG memo order.”

In the letter, the vendors’ request are to be allowed to sell at least 12 hours a day from 6 am to 10 pm on the sidewalks; to be allowed to sell several products, not just one product; and to allow their family members to sell or attend their store in case of their absence.

They offered to continue paying their monthly obligation in a form of “arkabala” at P300.

“While we fully understand and sympathize with the plight of the vendors, that selling on sidewalks, roads, alleys, and streets are their livelihood, this office cannot rule beyond what is legal or allowed by the rules,” said Gealon.

Meanwhile, Mayor Edgardo Labella said Kenneth Cobonpue has already submitted a design for the night market. Cobonpue offered his service for free in creating a design of stalls for the vendors affected by the clearing operation.

“In fact, the stakeholders when we had a meeting last week, were appreciative of the design. We’ll just have to see to it that all the vendors will be accommodated and will be transparent (in terms of placement). No one should get undue advantage,” said Labella.

The mayor, however, has yet to disclose the night market design.

The City Council also urged Labella to take an immediate action for the implementation of the night market because it has been three months since the displaced vendors have been asking for help.

To recall, Prevention, Restoration, Order, Beautification, Enhancement team head Raquel Arce announced on November 14 that the night market will be launched the day after. However, no night market was launched on Friday, November 15.

Labella said it will be up to the market authorities when to start the night market. FPL (FREEMAN)

SIDEWALK VENDORS
Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with