City councilor wants creation of disaster risk management office
Alicia Ivy L. Chua (The Freeman) - October 16, 2019 - 12:00am

CEBU, Philippines — After having experienced how the Japanese government prepared for disaster, Cebu City Councilor David Tumulak is urging the national government to create a separate office for the disaster risk reduction management.

Tumulak along with City Administrator Floro Casas Jr. and special assistant to the mayor Jose Daluz III were stranded in Yokohama, Japan last week due to the super typhoon Hagibis.

According to Tumulak, their experience allowed them to witness the preparedness of the Japanese government and its citizens.

“We have to strengthen the disaster preparedness of Cebu City, so we encourage the private and public offices to form teams on disaster preparedness, to educate and inform the people,” Tumulak said.

He said the safety of the people should be the top most priority during calamities. Tumulak said he was able to witness how the disaster management team of Japan prepared for the super typhoon.

“In Japan, technology and system software are only their secondary priority. Their top priority is the human intelligence and preparedness,” said Tumulak.

He said the national government should make a separate office for the disaster risk management that will focus solely on disaster preparedness, awareness and plan implementation.

The councilor suggested placing the proposed office under the Department of the Interior and Local Government.

Tumulak also encourages the public offices and schools to have their own disaster preparedness teams and conduct a weekly preparedness programs to instill it in the minds of the people. (FREEMAN)

DAVID TUMULAK
Philstar
  • Latest
Latest
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with