^

UAE group withdraws $120M offer to Mayweather

Dino Maragay (The Philippine Star) - January 7, 2015 - 11:54am

MANILA, Philippines – An offer that was supposed to be too good to refuse for Floyd Mayweather to fight Manny Pacquiao is no longer on the table.

This after boxing executive Akbar Muhammad, representing an investment group from the United Arab Emirates, announced that the firm has decided to rescind the $120 million offer for Mayweather to take on Pacquiao in Dubai this year.

In a report by boxingscene.com, Muhammad expressed his disappointment over Mayweather for his disinterest in the group’s offer.

“We want to deal with serious individuals, individuals who have the ability to make a decision. Regretfully, that is not the case with Mr. Mayweather,” the boxing executive said.

The investment group made the offer to Mayweather late November last year, hoping to stage what is expected to be the biggest and richest fight in boxing history. But that would no longer be the case.

“The Abu Dhabi group is serious, and I will not allow them to dangle an inordinate amount of time. Now that time has come and the offer is gone,” Muhammad continued.

He continued to blast the Mayweather camp, whom the undefeated boxer fondly calls “The Money Team”.

“One, if Mr. Mayweather wishes to pass on, in essence, $120 million net dollars and, instead, fight for hot dog money, all I can say is that 'The Money Team' might consider rethinking its nickname,” Muhammad said.

“Two, the very best of all time are just that because they overcame adversity; they met and beat their nemesis. That's (Muhammad) Ali meeting and beating (Joe) Frazier; that's (Ray) Leonard meeting and beating (Thomas) Hearns,” he added.

Pacquiao has been very vocal in wanting to fight Mayweather, calling out the boxer many times since he routed Chris Algieri in Macau last year. Talks are reportedly ongoing between Top Rank and the Mayweather side, but nothing definite has come out so far.

The boxing world, meanwhile, is still hoping the fight comes to reality. Boxrec.com, a website that hosts updated fighter records, even fueled hopes on Tuesday after briefly posting the schedule of Mayweather-Pacquiao on May 2.

The website cited the MGM Grand in Las Vegas as the venue. The post, however, was deleted a couple of hours later.

Muhammad’s group, for their part, has lost their faith in Mayweather, who himself, on national television, challenged Pacquiao to a May 2 showdown.

“To rise to the challenge, first, you must accept the challenge, and that means fighting the very best you can when the opportunity arises,” Muhammad said.

“Unfortunately, it appears someone on 'The Money Team' has no regard nor respect for the tradition and history of boxing nor, even more unfortunately, the wishes and desires of the fans of our sport,” he continued.

The group said it will move on without Mayweather.

“That aside, we're moving forward with absolutely no hesitation, no reservations and no Mayweather,” Muhammad added.

ABU DHABI AKBAR MUHAMMAD CHRIS ALGIERI FLOYD MAYWEATHER LAS VEGAS MAYWEATHER MONEY TEAM MR. MAYWEATHER MUHAMMAD PACQUIAO
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with