Returning home to escape from the floods
THE EAR (The Philippine Star) - August 16, 2012 - 12:00am

BALIK-SUGBO. When typhoon Ondoy devastated Metro Manila, a Cebuano family whose home was laid to waste by floodwaters, returned home to Cebu and stayed here for good. Last week another Cebuano family packed up and fled Manila after their property in Marikina was also destroyed by floods.

TWO DECADES. Nanding (not his real name) and his family left Cebu two decades ago and were living well in Metro Manila until the so-called Habagat floods devastated the family residence more seriously than what Ondoy did three or four years ago. “Akong gibaligya ang among property sa Marikina apan hangtud karon wa pay buyer,” Nanding said. Nanding’s wife, a very religious woman, said “Gigabaan mi sa atong Sugbo.” Having resettled home, the family has vowed never to leave the home province again.

AKONG CEBU CEBUANO FAMILY GIGABAAN HABAGAT HOME METRO MANILA NANDING ONDOY SUGBO
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with