^

Nation

Polillo to ban vessels in sea mishap

Jose Rodel Clapano - The Philippine Star

MANILA, Philippines — Vessels of Mercraft shipping company will no longer be allowed on Pollilo Island following a mishap involving one of its passenger boats.

In an interview with TV 5’s OneNews, Polillo Mayor Cristina Bosque said residents on the island have been traumatized by the tragedy involving MV Mercraft 2.

She said the shipping company should extend financial assistance to the survivors of the accident.

The Mercraft 2 was approaching the Port of Real from Polillo when it caught fire last Monday. The blaze, which reportedly started in the engine room, left seven persons dead and 24 others injured.

The Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) has been tasked to ”get to the bottom” of the mishap. The Maritime Industry Authority is conducting a parallel probe.

The Department of Transportation gave concerned agencies one week to finish their investigation.

PCG records showed that another Mercraft vessel previously figured in a sea mishap that left three passengers dead.

Mercraft’s franchise may be revoked, depending on the result of the probe.

The captain of the vessel has been placed under the custody of the PCG.

MERCRAFT

Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with