AFP: No more foreign terrorists in Philippines
Romina Cabrera (The Philippine Star) - July 24, 2020 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — The military has confirmed the statement of Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana that there are no more foreign terrorists in the country.

“Hanap kami nang hanap sa kanila. Talagang parang hindi na, walang traces of their presence. Ganun pa man, we do not lower our guard. We maintain our security posture,” Western Mindanao Command (Westmincom) chief Lt. Gen. Cirilito Sobejana said.

Lorenzana had earlier said the military is focusing on local terrorist groups, such as the Abu Sayyaf and Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters or Dawla Islamiyah.

Sobejana said they are keeping a watchlist to ensure that these terrorists would not recruit civilians.

”Ang importante hindi sila makaporma, hindi sila maka-recruit. Tinitiyak natin sa mga kababayan na ang ating security posture remains at its highest,” he said.

Sobejana said they had earlier identified eight foreigners from among the 59 terrorists on their watchlist in Mindanao.

He said the location of these terrorists and their links with the Islamic State is being verified.

Sobejana appealed to the public for their cooperation and support as he stressed that security is a shared responsibility between the state and civilians.

FOREIGN TERRORISTS
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with