P100 million drugs seized in stings
Neil Jayson Servallos (The Philippine Star) - June 29, 2020 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — Authorities are not taking a break in the war on drugs even as most parts of the country remain under quarantine restrictions as P100 million worth of narcotics was confiscated during separate stings last week.

In a statement yesterday, Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Gen. Archie Francisco Gamboa said they conducted a total of 25 anti-narcotics operations across the country, yielding over 7,606 grams of shabu and 239,500 marijuana plants amounting to P99.67 million.

Police said drug suspect Anthony Valerio, 35, was killed after he allegedly opened fire at lawmen in Barangay Gaya-Gaya, San Jose del Monte, Bulacan.

Valerio’s eight companions were arrested in the operation.

In Tinglayan, Kalinga, police raided two plantations where they burned at least 239,500 fully-grown marijuana plants worth P47.9 million.

In Quezon City, police apprehended Army reservist Omar Pagayawan, 35, and two other suspects who yielded at least a kilo of shabu valued at P6.8 million.

Gamboa said they launched an intensified campaign against drugs in Metro Manila where at least 29 suspects were arrested last week.

“The PNP has been consistent in its warning: there will be no letup in the war on drugs. Our recent accomplishments validate the PNP’s determination to eradicate threats to public’s safety,” Gamboa said.

The PNP reported that a total of P8.432 billion worth of shabu has been confiscated by the Drug Enforcement Group along with local police units and the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency since June 1.

SHABU
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with