Quezon City to sue operator of ‘illegal’ market
Janvic Mateo (The Philippine Star) - August 23, 2019 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — The Quezon City government is preparing a case against the private company that illegally operated a market under the Luzon Avenue flyover.

Mayor Joy Belmonte, who personally inspected the market earlier this month, said yesterday the city’s legal office is currently investigating the matter and would file a case against the private company.

“The owners of the company were invited to city hall through their administrator to show me their paperwork. They never came. It was discovered they also do not have a permit to operate a market,” she added.

She said the city government has taken over the market and that they have asked the Department of Public Works and Highways to temporarily allow the vendors to operate while an appropriate relocation site is being secured.

The mayor earlier ordered the company to explain the daily collection from the market vendors, noting that it only issues an acknowledgement receipt under the name “Luzon Wet and Dry Market.”

With 200 vendors paying the firm P80 to P150 a day, the company earned at least P480,000 per month, officials said.

ILLEGALL OPERATION MARKET
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with