Mt. Apo closed to trekkers for 5 years
John Unson (The Philippine Star) - April 13, 2016 - 10:00am

KIDAPAWAN CITY, Philippines –  Mt. Apo will be closed to trekkers for five years starting this month.

The Department of Environment and Natural Resources’ Protected Areas Management Board Inc. (PAMBI) arrived at the decision after a forest fire hit the mountain, Mayor Joseph Evangelista said on Tuesday.

The fire, which started on March 26, has yet to be put out.

Evangelista said the closure is seen to hasten the recovery of the gutted areas. The fire had so far razed around 400 hectares.

Joey Recimilla, Kidapawan City’s tourism officer, said PAMBI drafted the resolution declaring Mt. Apo off-limits to trekkers during a meeting last week.

Mt. Apo, the country’s highest mountain, straddles Davao City, North Cotabato and Davao del Sur.                

 

Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with