No ransom demand for Samal hostages
(The Philippine Star) - October 30, 2015 - 10:00am

DAVAO CITY, Philippines – The kidnappers of three foreigners and a Filipina taken from a resort in Samal Island, Davao del Norte have yet to ask for ransom in exchange for their freedom.

Philippine National Police chief Director General Ricardo Marquez said he was not aware of any negotiation between the families of the victims and the kidnappers.

“I believe they are still alive,” Marquez told a media briefing at the Police Regional Office on Thursday afternoon.

Canadian tourists John Ridsdel, 68, and Robert Hall, 50, as well as Norwegian resort manager Kjartan Sekkingstad and Hall’s Filipina girlfriend, Maritess Flor, were seized from a yacht club in Barangay Camudmud last month.

A video posted online by the kidnappers showed hooded gunmen and the three foreign hostages calling on the government to stop military operations to pave the way for the negotiations.

Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte said the victims have been brought to Sulu.

Marquez, however, said they are still investigating if the hostages are really in Sulu.

            

BARANGAY CAMUDMUD DAVAO CITY MAYOR RODRIGO DUTERTE DIRECTOR GENERAL RICARDO MARQUEZ FILIPINA JOHN RIDSDEL KJARTAN SEKKINGSTAD AND HALL MARITESS FLOR MARQUEZ NBSP PHILIPPINE NATIONAL POLICE POLICE REGIONAL OFFICE
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with