^
Recovered Año back at helm of DILG
The DILG said Secretary Eduardo Año received clearance from his doctors to report back to work yesterday, initially on a work-from-home basis.?Jonathan Malaya, DILG Undersecretary and spokesman, said Año would eventually be back to a full normal routine at the department.
STAR/Michael Varcas/File

Recovered Año back at helm of DILG

Romina Cabrera (The Philippine Star) - April 17, 2021 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — Secretary Eduardo Año is back at the helm of the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) after a three-month medical leave following heart surgery and two bouts with COVID-19.

The DILG said Año received clearance from his doctors to report back to work yesterday, initially on a work-from-home basis.?Jonathan Malaya, DILG Undersecretary and spokesman, said Año would eventually be back to a full normal routine at the department.

“After more than three months of grueling struggle, including a heart operation, the secretary is well, in high spirits and ready to reassume his duties in the department as well as in the National Task Force Against COVID-19 and in the IATF-EID,” Malaya said in a statement, referring to the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases.?

He thanked the public for giving Año the time to rest and fully recover after going on an extended medical leave starting in January.

Año was one of the first Cabinet officials to test positive for the coronavirus during the initial outbreak in March last year. He faced a more serious second bout with COVID-19 in August and went back to work sometime in September.

However, he was advised by his doctors to take the medical leave in January following a check-up as part of his post COVID-19 recovery plan.

Last month, Malaya said the DILG chief, after seeking an extension to his medical leave, “is just placing his health above all else, taking time to fully recuperate and waiting for doctor’s advice to go back to work.”

Malaya earlier pointed out that Año, as a COVID survivor, has been advised by doctors to “slow down and take a break from stressful activities.” The medical experts also advised him to get plenty of rest, prioritize health and to further undergo some tests.

During Año’s absence, the DILG was run by Undersecretary Bernardo Florece.

ANO
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with